Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Gratitude followed by Health and Happiness



Scientific studies show that those people who spend more time being grateful, saying thank you and focusing on appreciation are happier and healthier people.*

If you think about it, it makes perfect sense. If I spend time focusing on all the people, things and circumstances in my life that I am grateful for, my mood changes, I feel happy. If I spend time focusing on all the people, things and circumstances in my life that I do not like or do not want, I feel overwhelmed, angry and depressed. Happiness follows focus.

Our physical health has long been proven to be affected if not caused by our emotional health. Patience recovering from serious injury, surgery or illness have shown quicker recovery times and less pain if they have a positive outlook on life.

So what does it really take to be healthy and happy? We can start with a good practice of gratitude. Spend time each day thinking of all the people and things you are thankful for. Write them down in a gratitude journal. Focus or meditate on them. Let the gratitude fill your heart. Even a few minutes a day can make a difference. Practicing gratitude means a making a consistent effort to focus on things you are thankful for each day.

Don’t accept less than a happy and healthy life – it is too short. Try practicing gratitude instead!


* http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/a_thnx_a_day_keeps_the_doctor_away
* http://www.amazon.com/Thanks-Practicing-Gratitude-Make-Happier/dp/0547085737
 

No comments: