Sunday, February 03, 2013

Grateful for Connection

Yesterday I attended a funeral of a dear older friend. BJ was one of the kindest, gentlest spirits I have ever met. As I sat in the service thinking of the few short years I had known BJ, I marveled at how people come in and out of our lives but touch us forever. BJ touched me and my family greatly.

In reality, we can not survive modern life alone any more than we could survive alone in the past ages of man. Alone we are too vulnerable and weak to withstand what life brings our way. But with the help of others, we become stronger and more adaptable. We are hard-wired for connection and it is a good thing; because it is key to our very survival.

As I look back on my life I see many people who have come in for a time. Each one taught me things, each one helped me, each one made me a stronger and better person from experiencing their presence.

It is not only our physical beings that needs the help and fortification of others. It is also our mental, emotional and spiritual beings which are enhanced and made more whole as we interact and share our lives together.

Today, I am so very grateful for my connection to BJ and all the richness that she brought to me and everyone who knew her. And I am grateful for my connection to all the others before her and who will come in my future. Connection to others makes life livable, full and blessed.

No comments: